Lets get straight to it. We kicked ENMU’s butt and it was a great win against a good team. Thoughts, MVP’s, and grades.
1. Fast Start- We scored on our opening drive, returned a punt for a TD and kept the crowd out of it. Amazing start and we just kept kicking tail. It was just a tailor made start and could not have been any better.
2. Balanced offense-When I say balanced offense, I say that we got the ball to 10 different REC’s. Tyrick Rollison and Deric Davis, who played in relief and played very well both were solid and did not turn the ball over. We also gave them a healthy dose of Joe Bergeron. ENMU knew coming in we would be more diverse on offense, and we proved them right.
3. Not being distracted-Greyhound Stadium is a tough place to play. The grass, the rough condition of the stadium, the altitude, the fan base. Non of that seemed to bother the Lions, and that shows that the mentality of the team is really getting tough. That is one thing I really feel like they lacked last year overall, was a tough and resilient attitude that was consistent. Not this year. This group feels they can beat anyone, anytime, anyplace, anywhere. I totally agree.
4. Special teams-Saul Martinez and Chase Thrasher both continue to just be outstanding. Martinez hit a 48 yarder, a career long, and Thrasher came up with some great punts despite the wind and altitude. The one group that cannot be thanked enough is the kickoff coverage teams by not allowing any big returns. This group has improved massively from last year.
5. Defense-Do not let the 32 points fool you. The Lion Defense was outstanding yesterday and played solid defense and played their gap assignments very well. The forced ENMU to throw, and when you force them to do that, that is not a game they want to play.
Offense- B Plus. I would give them an A, but keeping the foot on the gas is important, had that happened, this would have ab been an A. I only say B plus because as well as they played THIS GROUP CAN STILL BE BETTER on offense. A great effort.
Defense-B Plus. The Lion D stopped the run, but needs to work on staying true to covering the pass, that said, had that been done, this would have been an A grade. Again, like the offense, they have yet to play their best game yet.
Special Teams-A plus. Martinez was solid with his FG’s and PAT’s despite the high grass, and Trevor Lassetor, the holder who almost never gets credit did a great job setting up his holds to give Martinez the best chances to hit his marks. Chase Thrasher was great punting, and coverage did another fantastic job.
Coaching-A plus. I cannot say how well Carthel and Crew had this group ready and the game plan was tailor made. Great play-calling by OC Matt Storm, and great defensive sets by the defensive staff. Finally, they have this team mentally ready to take on anyone.
Offense-Tyrick Rollison and Deric Davis for Co-MVP’s. Both played very well at the QB position.
Defense-Charles Woods continues to just play outstanding. 14 tackles, 8 of them solo and two for loss. He continues to make a case for himself to be an all conference defender.
Special teams-Saul Martinez. He hit a career high 48 yard FG and navigated the rough turf to remain consistent on his PAT’s and his FG’s.