- At 7-3 and 3-1 in LSC play, the Lion Men find themselves right in the thick of the Lone Star Conference upper tier once again. The season did not start out well, as the Lions dropped their first two games, albeit close losses, still losses none the less. However of the 3 schools the Lions lost to, the have a combined record of 25-8. Just early season growing pains? Perhaps.
- Coming into this season, we knew would lose a lot of offensive firepower. Willie Rooks, Srdan Budamir, and Trey Conrod all graduated, along with some other strong offensive players. However, the new starting 5 seems to be finding their way in not just scoring, but playing tight defense and getting key stops when need be. That is how the game of Basketball is won and lost.
- Last season’s team had a lot of players that would be contributing this year, and so they have. Wayne Stewart, Deonta Terrell, Leo Lara, and Austin Grandstaff are among those guys and have stepped in nicely. Wayne Stewart, along with Grandstaff and Terrell, are 3 of the Lions top 5 scorers. While we lost a lot of firepower coming in, we also had quite a bit coming back.
- The Lions have also benefited from the incoming transfers of some truly solid players. Deon Barret, a Junior from Lancaster, is leading the Lions with 17 points per game in the scoring department, while Darnell Wright, a transfer from Arkansas-Monticello, is the leading rebounder and inside man for the Lions. The combination of new talent and players that have been seasoned in HC von Rosenberg’s System is starting to gell, and the results are telling.
- As of the printing of this article, the Lions just wiped the floor with 10th ranked Dallas Baptist by almost 25 points, and did so on the road. Over the past 3 weeks, the Lions have defeated 3 teams in the top 15. Early season struggles had a lot of fans worried, but if this kind of play continues, look out Lone Star Conference. This conference is loaded with Basketball talent, but this Lion Men’s team expects to be in the hunt ever single year and right now, things are looking like that hunt should be quite successful.
Notes: The Lions play their final game of 2019 this Saturday in Stephenville against the Tarleton State Texans for the final time as LSC foes. Tip time is at 4 PM. The Lions will then break for the fall semester and resume play by facing Cameron University on January 2nd in Commerce to get in the heart of LSC play.