Lions Picked to finish first in LSC.
The Lions of TAMUC edged out Midwestern State’s Mustangs by one single vote in the preseason poll at Lone Star Conference Media Day in San Antonio. With as close as everything has been against MSU, no shock there. Here is the full media poll.
2018 LONE STAR CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PRESEASON POLL
|1||Texas A&M-Commerce (13)||201|
|2||Midwestern State (10)||200|
|3||Eastern New Mexico||142|
|7||West Texas A&M||73|
|8||UT Permian Basin (1)||57|
|9||Western New Mexico||37|
Also, here are some remarks by HC Carthel and Brucks Saathoff, Garrett Bluebaugh, and Kristov Martinez.-
The Lion Wire’s Pick’s for LSC Play. Here is how I believe the conference will shake out.
T-1. Midwestern-They have our number (5-1 against us since Carthel & Co got here, and NO coach other than Bill Maskill has a winning record against Colby Carthel) and get us at home for the second straight season. Lions are the ones that have to prove they can get over the Maskill hump.
T-1. TAMUC-Natty aside, we have to win our conference first. The games against Angelo and Tarleton last year concern me somewhat, but if the Offense is as explosive as last year and defense plays like it is capable of, then the Lions are the clear Number 1.
3. Tarleton-Good Coach, improved program and team. Will be tough to beat and if one or two things go their way, could be in the running for the conference title.
4. Angelo-Could flip with TSU if their offense comes alive, because their defense is very good.
5. Kingsville-I think they will be better than most think. They will come to play against everyone.
6. Eastern NM-Hate to say it because I root for them, but I think the Hounds take a step back losing Cass, losing a feature back like that hurts.
7. WTAMU-Growing pains, but Hughes will have a better sqaud. If that QB transfer is a playmaker, WT may end up being a .500 or better team. They can run the ball effectively at times.
8. UTPB-They will continue to get better but still not there yet. Would love to see them get 4-5 wins this year.
9. WNMU-The coaching situation is just too hard, but they have good, raw athletic talent. They will compete and win 4 or 5 games.
Major Congrats to Volleyball HC Craig Case and Soccer HC Neil Piper as both squads were named Lone Star Conference Academic Champions. Both teams has stellar seasons last year, but they had the highest team GPA’s and this is something to be proud of, because the high expectations on the field go hand in hand with high expectations in the Classroom. Congrats to both!