First off, I wanted to apologize to the Cross Country members. Despite this being a Football intensive blog, I try to keep at least basic news coming on all other sports. Also, being a Cross Country athlete in High School and almost one in College (long story), I am going to ensure the teams get coverage. So, I will pick up with their current successes.
The Men’s XC team has been impressive so far into the season. Starting with a 3rd place finish for the ladies and a 2nd place finish out of 8 teams at the Dallas Baptist Invitational, and then following up with an 11th of out 21 teams for the Ladies while the Men notched 6th out of 18th place finish at the Southern Missouri State Invitational. Both teams head to Fayetteville Arkansas for the Chile Pepper Fest hosted by the University of Arkansas on October the 1st. Both teams have the potential to make noise at the Conference meet hosted in Commerce, so keep it here for news and updates.
Vs. TAMU-Kingsville-5 Thoughts
- Javelinas are no pushover. They proved that this past Saturday night, a stop away from beating Midwestern State. The improvements made by Darren Wilkenson have been very noticeable and the talk in Commerce has that it will not that long before Kingsville comes back to being the competitive force they always have been.
- TAMUK worries me. This is the resume of work so far. Two wins, one a big win on the road against a Division I program in Incarnate Word, and a Blowout of a team from Canada. The other is a loss to the number 10 team in the country by two points. This game could very well be much more than what we bargained for. We must be ready.
- Start fast and hit hard. The strategy for this game is to be the aggressor. Whenever there is a team you do not know that much about as to how good they really are, coming out swinging is the best bet for the favored team. Hit em hard and hit em fast. Show you are the better team. If any offense can do it, it is this team.
- The crowd needs to be in it. Just like on the road I always say take the crowd out of it to demoralize the opponent, put the crowd into this one and get rowdy and loud and get the team excited to play, and just go nuts and have fun after the score and the stop, and keep doing it, that keeps TAMUK’s enthusiasm out of their game.
- Hall of fame game, big cross state rivalry, trophy game, at home. Does not get much bigger than this. This game is big, and they only get bigger by the game. This win would give this senior class 4 straight Chennault Cup wins and be the first Senior class in a long time to beat Texas A&M-Kingsville all 4 years (5 if they were redshirt Freshman in 2012.)