The American Football Coaches Association released their top 25 pre-season poll and they have the Lions at # 9, the highest ever pre-season ranking since the coaches poll started back in 2000. This is a pretty big deal to come out ranked in the top ten, and one thing you notice is that the Lions and Indiana College are the only top ten teams that did not win at least 10 games. Poll after the 5 thoughts.
- Surprised we are ranked ahead of Midwestern. They always seem to get the advantage over us, but the coaches obviously feel we are a better team overall. This is somewhat strange in that a team that is filling a new slot at quarterback and has some tough road games ahead, but it will be telling, but a large core comes back next season for the Lions.
- This raises the issue of whether or not we are expected to blow out Faith Florida in a terrible fashion, as in scoring near 100 points. Colby Carthel is not going to do that, he has never done it before, and he is not going to start now, but will not totally embarrassing a team cost us a spot in the second week?
- Speaking of the second week, we have a tough Delta State team that week, but DSU is not ranked, but that does not mean a thing. I wonder why they are not even receiving votes in the poll, but this makes DSU an enigma and add to that the fact this game is on the road and there are a lot of unknowns, and it puts a big target on this team’s back.
- I wonder what all the coaches who voted for TAMUC saw, and despite the gaps. The quarterback situation is something typically is a large part of the team makeup and core, but with the fact that the top running back in the conference plays for us and provides us with the balance, that takes a lot off the shoulders off a quarterback, and gives the QB more rope to work with.
- I do believe the defense is a huge reason that ranking is what it is. When the defense played and showed up, it played out very well. A shutout against Tarleton and holding most opponents in conference under 25 points. Not bad. Also, Midwestern checks in ranked 14th, while Angelo State, West Texas A&M, and Texas A&M-Kingsville are all receiving votes.
Here is the Poll.
August 15, 2016
|Rank||School (1st votes)||2015 Rec.||Pts.||2015 Rank*|
|1.||Northwest Missouri St. (29)||15-0||749||1|
|2.||West Georgia (1)||12-2||676||3|
|3.||Grand Valley St. (Mich.)||12-3||658||4|
|9t.||Henderson St. (Ark.)||11-2||363||12|
|11.||Slippery Rock (Pa.)||12-2||360||7|
|12.||Ferris St. (Mich.)||11-1||359||6|
|13.||Humboldt St. (Calif.)||10-2||353||16|
|14.||Midwestern St. (Texas)||10-2||344||9|
|18.||Colorado School of Mines||8-3||228||NR|
|23.||Sioux Falls (S.D.)||9-3||125||21t|
|24.||Emporia St. (Kan.)||11-3||124||8|