1. Not all is lost. In fact, the Lions have 3 games to prove that they have it this year. Crush McMurry, hopefully draw Midwestern State in the first game of the LSC playoffs and drill them at home, and beat ASU at home again. Also, beating McMurry will give the Lions the Conference Championship outright, with only one loss, but do not write off McMurry for a second. They could just as well walk in and take one from the Lions.
2. Rollison HAS to learn to run the ball-Tyrik Rollison is a great player, but his game lacks one thing and that is pocket presence. He has got to learn to escape, to run, and not fold like a tent when he feels he is about to get hit. He just cannot do it. He has to also learn to be a guy who is not afraid to run. If he is afraid to run, he should not be playing. You get hit in Football, it is still a contact sport.
3. Defense exposed-For the first time this season, I feel like our defense was just totally exposed. 34 points in one half when you had them shut out is just unacceptable. That said, my next point is probably a good reason why.
4. Injuries-We were dropping like flies on Saturday night. One guy after another just dropping, dropping, and dropping. Against a weak McMurry team, maybe there can be some rest for those guys, or at least I hope there will be. I cannot blame the defense for such a bad performance totally on them, they needed some guys to step in and step up, and that did not happen.
5. Field Goals-What happened to putting Deric Davis on the red zone packages? I think it is apperant that Davis is much better in that role than Rollison is. As such, we had to settle for field goals, one was blocked, and the other………well, you know.
A word. I do not blame officials for this loss. Our offense was not playing all that well, Rollison was losing yards like nobody’s business, the defense got torn to shreds, and we missed a sure fire game winning field goal. That said, the calls of the refs throughout the game was totally idiotic and to be honest, it was going cost one of the teams, either MSU or the Lions, and it cost the latter. The Vernon Johnson/Ricky Collins lateral was a complete horse manure call, and it gave MSU 7 points. I would think that the Lone Star Conference might want to take a look at that and maybe issue an apology, just like the Great Lakes Conference did to Grand Valley St. for blowing a close game due to officiating.
That said, I hope and pray for an MSU win this Saturday. I want to see them come to the blacklands and my gosh do I want to whip them back Wichita Falls. If MSU wins Saturday and Angelo State beats Tarleton, that will put MSU in the playoffs for the top 4 ranking in the conference. I want that badly, and I want a rematch.
Lions Ranked in the Super Regional Rankings-
Here are the complete Regional Rankings for Division II
|REGION/RANK||SCHOOL||DIVISION II RECORD||OVERALL RECORD|
|SUPER REGION ONE|
|SUPER REGION TWO|
|8||Albany St. (GA)||5-2||5-2|
|10||Fort Valley St.||5-2||6-2|
|SUPER REGION THREE|
|2||Minn. St. Mankato||8-0||8-0|
|7||Northwest Mo. St.||7-1||7-1|
|SUPER REGION FOUR|
Lady Lion Soccer-
Congrats to the Lady Lions as they snuffed Southern Nazarene University in Oklahoma, 4-0. The Ladies can win another conference title with wins over Eastern New Mexico and West Texas A&M. They win out, they get another conference title. It is that simple. Send some good thoughts the Ladies way as they have to make long trips out West to get it done.