Let’s Get to It-
- Russ and I said in our last podcast episode that this for our new Athletic Director first test would be hiring a new Coach for the Women’s Basketball program. Test has been passed. This was a huge hire and we needed someone that was going to have experience in taking a program that has been a winning program and give that the “umph” they need to get to the next level during this probation period. The acid test will be how the team does next year and the future results will be telling, but that will shake itself out in the coming months and years.
- Coach King is a winner on every level. She was a four-year starter for the University of Cincinnati from 2000-04. She ended her Bearcat career as the all-time leader in three-pointers made with 338, which was a Conference USA record at the time and is second all time now. Her time at Wright State and New Mexico produced a lot of wins and fruitful seasons and multiple postseason births. She also spent some time in the WNBA with the Sacramento Monarchs.
- Jason Burton set the bar high. King is not taking over a program that has lowered its expectations one iota. We all know there is a curve because of the move to Division I, but she appears to know what a winning program is made of as she has been with all programs that are winners. She also has shown that being a part of a staff has molded her into a head coach ready to take a program and new heights on a new level.
- Much Like Clint Dolezel, Jeff Cleveland, Joe Morales and our new AD Jim Curry, King appears to want to be here and be here for a long haul. We have had a lot of turnover and new hires, but this crop of new athletic staff has really shown itself to be ready and willing to take positions that will require building more on the foundations that the previous coaches and staffs have built.
- King seems like she is made for Commerce. She is young, she has a great resume as a coach and as a player, and she is not far removed from knowing what these student athletes go through and what it takes to be successful at the collegiate level. Despite the move to a new Division, last year’s team already showed it can compete for a conference title, and the goal remains the same, a diploma in one hand, and a championship ring on the other, and King looks like she is the right Woman for the job. Welcome to the Blacklands Coach King.