- Overall-A good win that sends this Senior class off as undefeated at home this year. The game started out slowly and the offense sputtered early, but the offense quickly kicked back into high gear when they came out of the locker room. All 3 sides of the ball played well. This team needed to take care of business, and they did. Not perfect, but one of the better games they have played when you look at all 3 sides of the ball.
- Offense-At first, the offense looked tense and was trying to do too much. Only 1 offensive touchdown before the half. The movement between the 20’s was good all game long, but sputtering in the red zone was a problem. The second half was a totally different story. The offense came out firing on all cylinders and before you knew it 17 had turned into 24, then 30, then 37, and so on. Miklo Smalls had another game to show that is the best quarterback in the Lone Star Conference, and overall the Line did a great job protecting him and opening up rushing lanes. Too many drops by receivers last night is really the only thing I can really complain about overall.
- Defense-Their best game of the year and it really is not even close. 4 interceptions, one returned for a touchdown. Great line penetration, good pass defense, and really not allowing the UTPB offense to get into any kind of a rhythm. The two scores they did have were the result of short fields to work and also taking end zone shots at least 7-8 times during the game to try to get back into the game. Secondary responded well. No dumb penalties and a creating big turnovers to shut down an offense that has shown itself able to score points at any given time.
- Special teams-While he did not break one for a TD, Dominique Ramsey gave the offense great field position multiple times with great returns on both kickoff and punts. Jake Viquez……hit from 48, 47, and 39 yards after getting his first attempt, which was much shorter, blocked. He has done a tremendous job and when he is given good snaps and enough time, he is money on extra points and field goals. He also took over punting last night. Andrew Gomez did not make an appearance and I believe it was to neutralize a pretty strong punt return game by UTPB which did not get a chance last night. Coverage allowed some good sized returns but refer to my statement above about why that may have happened.
- Going Forward: The playoffs have started a week early for this team. It starts next week at Angelo State. Win, and move on for a chance to play for a national championship for the fifth straight season. Lose, and the season is over and we probably get to go to a Bowl. Now, all the concentration can be focused on Angelo State and doing what it takes in preparation and execution to beat them. This team has the talent and shows to be peaking at the right time. So much is on the line. To quote Denzel Washington in Remember the Titans: “Let’s go to work, we have to get ready for Saturday.”
How the rest of the LSC Fared-
Tarleton State-58, William Jewell-3
West Texas A&M-35. Texas A&M-Kingsville-31
Eastern New Mexico-20, # 21 Angelo State-17
Midwestern State-28, Western New Mexico-13