Let’s get right to it, here are 5 post season thoughts.
- Another Step Forward-Getting back to the NCAA tournament, or making it, was the next step Jason Burton’s squad needed to take. Every year his group has been making upward trends. If you were to make a chart, it would see incremental and noticeable changes, but a 20 win season, a winning LSC record, a good conference tournament showing, and a NCAA Tournament berth is another step forward for Women’s Basketball at Texas A&M-Commerce.
- Burton’s The Guy-Jason Burton has been a great asset to the athletic department at TAMUC, but honestly, he was faced with the biggest task, and that was to a take program that had only had one successful season in it’s entire history and make it a contender. Not even Colby Carthel had to do that because of the strong tradition of the Football team, Burton had to take a program that had never had sustained success and turn it into a winner, and he has done that. Hope we can hold onto him.
- The New Normal-With the groundwork that has been laid in the past 5 seasons, but especially the last 3, fans should be able to expect 20 win seasons and NCAA tournament births. Just like in Football our expectations are double digit wins and playoffs, Soccer conference championships, Men’s Basketball tournaments and 20 win seasons, and track conference titles, our Women’s Basketball program has set itself up as a consistent winner and should stay there.
- Who is coming back-The Lions only lose 2 Seniors, Princess Davis, and Kate Zhibareva. Both were integral parts of the team as both were starters, and Davis is the all time leader in minutes played, while Zhibereva’s only year in Commerce produced an inside presence that was needed desperately to keep the Lions in LSC contention during the year. With 3 starters coming back, along with a deep bench and newcomers that have signed, expect to see the same kind of success with the same caliber players that can do it.
- Title Time-For the past 2 seasons, this team has been in serious contention for a LSC regular season title for all or most of the season. Last year, they were in first place for almost a month before dropping some critical games down the stretch, that in all honesty, they should have won. Learning how to win games is one thing, winning all your games is another. With squads like West Texas, Angelo State, Eastern New Mexico, and Tarleton, the margin of error is slim in conference games, hence the reason to win your “gimme games” and really put your focus on beating the top teir teams. Next year, I can very easily see a title in contention with what is coming back and the foundation that has been laid.