After setting a school record for the largest margin of victory over an opponent, Jason Burton’s squad pushed their overall record to 4-4 and 1-1 in conference play. Here are 5 thoughts on the season so far.
- The 4 wins have been pretty indicative so far of what this group can do. The closer games are, the better the chances that the Lions pull it out. Aside from the blowout win against TAMU-Kingsville, this group is learning to do what I have said for 2 plus years, and that is FINISH GAMES. They are doing that. Their average margin of victory is 7 points. Also, strong shooting is getting the wins and making the shots in crunch time to pull away. That is making a difference.
- Two newcomers are really adding to the scoring potency of the Lions, the first is DeSoto native and Texas State transfer Chania Wright. She is the leading scorer for the team, just ahead of Princess Davis, a returning All-American. The third leading scorer is Russian Native and Marshall transfer Ekaterina Zhibareva, who also is second overall in rebounding and first in offensive rebounding. These two have added a lot of skill to much needed positions.
- 16 days. That is how many days off the Lions have before they start playing again, and I believe that is a great time to look at what has gone wrong, and what has gone right so far. 1-1 in conference and 4-4 overall gives you a chance to look at what you can get right before heading into a non-conference matchup against Northeastern Oklahoma State. That gives you a lot of chances to fix the correctable and be aware of what is dragging you down.
- Midpoints of Basketball seasons can really help, and to expand further on going forward, last season at this time, this squad was 6-4 overall. Then they went on a tear, winning 10 of their next 11 and taking a firm hold of first place in the LSC. Sorry to say that the back stretch was not nearly as fruitful as the first part, but it got it going in a good direction and looking back on last year, this team had an LSC title in their grasp, second chances don’t come around that easily.
- Finally, the games that are played at home, have to be won at home. The conference is full of places that are tough places to play. Canyon, Stephenville, Wichita Falls are just a few to come to mind. Winning home games are what separates average teams from dominant teams, and this team has the potential to be dominant come conference play time. Just two more games to go, and then it is LSC play time, and no time to lose a grasp on a chance to land in first place.