Talk about running on pure adrenaline. Last day was the final day at work for me before I start a new job in a couple of weeks, I had been up since 6 AM and worked till 5, fought Dallas traffic all the way through Greenville to meet up with my Dad and take our seats for the much awaited season opener. Then one of the best games I ever saw took about a year off my life and that was followed by an hour and a half drive home to my parents for Labor Day weekend. I have had my share of fun, I guess you could say for this week. Either way, here are 5 Morning after thoughts. 7 straight wins over our blood rival, and man, this one felt great. Call the result “Hawk Magic” if you will. Let’s get to it.
- First, I want to say to TAMU-Kingsville and their fans, you guys have a very good football team. Koy Detmer Jr is one heck of a QB and their team is going to compete for the LSC title this year. We had just enough depth and made just enough of the right plays to win this thing, but the Hoggies gave us a great game and all I can say is best of luck to them the rest of the year. Watch out LSC, there is another good team that wears Blue and Gold in the conference. I always respect Kingsville because of their tradition, but this took it to a whole other level.
- Preston Wheeler…….as the locals say out here, you earned your meat and potatoes sir. You hung in there and fought through protection breakdowns, dropped passes, and first game jitters and you delivered us a win. I was so sure Kane Wilson would start, but now I see how Wheeler got the nod. He deserves this win and I believe he will get better as the season goes along. Some confidence boosting games will do a world of wonders for him. This is your team now, take this and get better every week. Marquis Wimberly had a monster game and his catch on 4th and goal to tie it up in the second overtime was the cherry on top of a great game.
- The Defense is another unit that played very well last night, but was just on the field for way too long as the offense sputtered in the first 2 1/2 quarters. The interception on 3rd down that would have probably won the game for Kingsville was a huge play by Reggie Kincaid, and he also did a fantastic job of returning the kicks when the Lions needed momentum, and Dominique Ramsey did the same with punt returns, those were necessary to keep our heads up. They also stopped the Hogs when they needed to the most. They played well, don’t let the stats fool you.
- The mistakes that were made were correctable, but whether is was running the play clock down too close to zero, or receivers not being on the same page, that stuff is correctable, but what I would like to know is what happened to some of the guys that I thought would be starting that are potent weapons. We will find out later I guess.
- Finally, the atmosphere was great for a season opener, local sports media and ESPN were there, a crowd of about 7,200 on a Thursday night, and a celebration of what the program has done recently. The fans stayed and stayed loud until the end, and to Kristov Marintez, once again thank you for the ice water that runs through your veins to knock through the score that forced overtime and the point that won it.